Sunday, July 18, 2010

When You're Down

Today we talked about one of the most beloved passages in the New Testament. It is one that is often used to comfort people who are grieving a loss, but today we talked about it in the context of feeling desperate, worried, and hopeless. That pretty much sums up the way the disciples were feeling when Jesus spoke these words to them after telling them he was going to be betrayed:

"Do not let your heart be troubled; believe in God, believe also in Me. In My Father's house are many dwelling places; if it were not so, I would have told you; for I go to prepare a place for you. If I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and receive you to Myself, that where I am, there you may be also. And you know the way where I am going." John 14:1-4

Then Thomas asked Him how they would know the way to where He was going when they didn't even know WHERE He was going. Jesus answered:

"I am the way, the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father but through Me." John 14:6

Jesus apparently knew that the disciples were feeling afraid of losing Him. They didn't want Him to go away, but wanted to stay with Him forever.

He encouraged them that He was still going to be with them, even when their senses couldn't see Him, hear Him, or touch Him. They had to "know Him" by faith, and they had to "be with Him" by faith. They had to trust Him to keep His promises even when they could no longer see Him.

What can we learn from this? Well, we have to learn to rely on our spiritual eyes and ears. If we only accept what we can see, hear, and touch with our physical senses, then it is no longer faith.

"Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see." Hebrews 11:1

So the next time you are feeling desperate or hopeless or ready to panic, don't rely on your physical senses. Rely more on your "spiritual senses", and remember that He is with you (Joshua 1:5), He keeps his promises (II Corinthians 1:20), and remember Who He is (John 14:6).

Instead of believing what your eyes see (the problem), believe in Him instead. Instead of believing what you hear (discouraging words), believe in Him instead. He is "I AM" and He is bigger than any problem you or I will ever face.

So what are your thoughts?

1 comment:

  1. One of my college professors said something that really stuck with me over the years and relates to this message. "Never question in the dark what God gave you in the light." Just means becoming less trusting of our perceptions in general and more trusting of him. Also, recognizing that fear, depression, worry tend to distort our ability to see clearly.

    ReplyDelete