If we want to raise children who live like they belong to God, then we need to have a home environment where God is honored and where pleasing Him and knowing Him is central to all we do.
That starts (no surprise here) with us. We must live our lives in ways that not only model for our children what Godly living is, but also encourages them to want to follow after our God. We must set an example. We must discipline with love. We must teach them. We must walk our talk. We must point them to Jesus.
Yesterday, I gave you some questions to go home and talk about with your family. I hope you did that. Here are the questions, and some brief remarks.
1) Are my spouse and kids closer to God or more distant from Him because of me? Examine your life, how you conduct yourself, what you talk about, how you interact with your family. Does that inspire your family to want to follow God as well? Do they see Jesus in you? Do you display the character of God and the fruit of the Spirit in your life? Are you one person at home and another one outside of the home? Remember, your spouse and kids are watching!
Paul wrote:
"Follow my example, as I follow the example of Christ." I Corinthians 11:1
Ask yourself if you feel comfortable saying that to your family. If not, then you have some changes to make!
2) Can my family see that doing God's will is the most important priority in my life? When we live in ways that it is obvious that the word of God is central to our lives, it will demonstrate our priorities. Not only knowing His word, of course, but also obeying Him. What your family sees you DOING tells them what is important to you. Actions speak louder than words, as the old saying goes.
Paul wrote to Timothy,
"I have been reminded of your sincere faith, which first lived in your grandmother Lois and in your mother Eunice and, I am persuaded, now lives in you also." I Timothy 1:5
It is apparent that Timothy learned by watching his mother and grandmother.
3) Does our family take a few minutes each day to read and discuss God's word? This doesn't mean that you have to have what we used to call "family devotions" each day. While family devotions can be a good thing, it can also become something that we "check off our to-do list" each day. The essential thing is to be discussing God's word in terms of what it is saying, meaning, and how it applies to our lives. By doing so, we are following the principle of old:
"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God, the LORD is one. Love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength. These commandments that I give you today are to be upon your hearts. Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up. Tie them as symbols on your hands and bind them on your foreheads. Write them on the doorframes of your houses and on your gates." Deuteronomy 6:4-9
4) Do all the family members pray together at least once a day? Remember, we're not talking about just prayer over meals. Family prayer can be a great way to help your children become comfortable with prayer. I know so many adults that are not comfortable with praying out loud or even praying silently. If children are raised from early in life experiencing prayer, they will not only come to be comfortable with it, but they will also see it as a normal part of life. That's a good thing!
5) Is our family ministering to others who are needy, lonely, and struggling, or are we self-sufficient and isolated from those whom Christ came to serve? We are called to live in community and be the body of Christ to one another. Encouraging. Admonishing. Praying. Helping. Sharing. Children who grow up in a family that is highly connected to the body of Christ as a part of their daily lives (not just Sunday, folks) will be much more likely to follow the biblical model of that.
"All the believers were one in heart and mind. No one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they shared everything they had. With great power the apostles continued to testify to the resurrection of the Lord Jesus, and much grace was upon them all. There were no needy persons among them. For from time to time those who owned lands or houses sold them, brought the money from the sales and put it at the apostles' feet, and it was distributed to anyone as he had need." Acts 4:32-35
"But encourage one another day after day, as long as it is still called "Today," so that none of you will be hardened by the deceitfulness of sin." Hebrews 3:13
6) Does our family talk to one another in loving tones as though we appreciate and value each other? If I were a fly on the wall in your home, or a mouse in your pocket, would I hear respect and honor, or would I hear you relating to one another in ways that don't honor God? Do you behave towards your family differently at home than you do in public? Ask your spouse that question.
Spend some time this week asking yourselves, but more importantly asking God, about these questions. Ask Him to show you where you need to make some changes.
And, as always, talk to me! What are your thoughts? Post a comment, please!
"Wives, submit to your husbands as to the Lord. For the husband is the head of the wife as Christ is the head of the church, his body, of which he is the Savior. Now as the church submits to Christ, so also wives should submit to their husbands in everything. Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her to make her holy, cleansing her by the washing with water through the word, and to present her to himself as a radiant church, without stain or wrinkle or any other blemish, but holy and blameless. In this same way, husbands ought to love their wives as their own bodies. He who love his wife loves himself. After all, no one ever hated his own body, but he feeds and cares for it, just as Christ does the church, for we are members of his body. 'For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh' This is a profound mystery--but I am talking about Christ and the church. However, each one of you also must love his wife as he loves himself, and the wife must respect her husband." Ephesians 5:22-33
Spend some time this week asking yourselves, but more importantly asking God, about these questions. Ask Him to show you where you need to make some changes.
And, as always, talk to me! What are your thoughts? Post a comment, please!
Ok, so I'm thinking that #5 is a biggie for me. I know that I could be doing more; saying more; participating more. The Holy Spirit has been directing me in certain areas of my life and I haven't been really responsive to Him. This is such a struggle for me, however, I am learning and I am desirous to do what God wants me to do. I guess I need some prompting. Actually John, you answered the question for me that I had at church. I don't have a spouse and no children at home. (My cats are not very responsive and when they do respond, I don't understand them. I just don't think there is great impact there:).) But I can always use these instructions in my job, at the store, in restaurants - basically wherever I go.
ReplyDelete