Sunday, June 6, 2010

Living Like We Belong to God - Part II

Isn't it interesting living in New Testament grace, that God hasn't changed? We often say, "oh well, we are under grace so we don't have to live anymore under the law anymore." While that may be true in one sense, it doesn't change the fact that God's requirements haven't changed at all.

Consider this:

God in talking to his chosen people (Israel) told them, "Be holy because I, the Lord your God, am holy." Leviticus 19:2

God expected them to obey His commands and be a holy people.

Now consider this: Peter, in his first letter, wrote to the church "But just as He who called you is holy, so be holy in all you do, for it is written, 'Be holy, because I am holy.'" I Peter 1:15-16

Old Testament or New Testament, God's command is the same. Be holy. God expects obedience, even though our sins are covered by the blood of Christ and forgiven.

We are a people who belong to God, and our obedience to Him demonstrates that. So does our love for Him, our neighbors, and each other. God wants us to be a people that is so different from the world that it is obvious that we are Christians.

If you were on trial for being a Christian, would there be enough evidence to convict you? It is an interesting question, isn't it?

So how do the people around you know that you are a Christian, or do they? Talk to me!

2 comments:

  1. It's interesting that Paul told Titus (Titus 2:11 & 12)The grace of God teaches us to say "No" to ungodliness and worldly passions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And I thought the Grace of God was there so that I could keep on sinning! Foolish me! ;-)

    You speak truth - Thanks Lew!

    PJ

    ReplyDelete