Sunday, August 8, 2010

Responding to Suffering

This will be (unless God directs me otherwise) the last in the series on suffering. The past couple of weeks we have talked much about how suffering is a normal part of life, even for the Christian. We also have talked about the purpose of suffering, and even the benefits of suffering. Hopefully that will lead us to develop a right perspective on suffering and, in turn, a right attitude when it happens.

When we see suffering the way God does, there is something inside of us that shifts. We begin to respond to it not. with fear or anger, but rather with a response that is Godly and healthy. Briefly, what are the Godly responses to suffering?
  • Rejoice in suffering. - I Peter 4:12-14, Colossians 1:24
  • Praise God and give thanks. - Philippians 4:4, I Thessalonians 5:16-18
  • Don't lose heart and be courageous. - Hebrews 12:3, II Corinthians 4:13-18
  • Comfort others. - II Corinthians 1:3-11
  • Pray. - I Thessalonians 5:16-17, Hebrews 5:7, James 5:13
  • Resist the devil. - Ephesians 6:10-13
  • Persevere. - I Corinthians 10:13
  • Entrust. (Have faith.) - I Peter 2:21-24
  • Sacrifice for others.
One of the things that I believe helps us the most is remembering that suffering is for a little while.

For in just a very little while, He who is coming will come and will not delay. (Hebrews 10:37)

In this you greatly rejoice, though now for a little while you may have had to suffer grief in all kinds of trials. (I Peter 1:6)

And the God of all grace, who called you to his eternal glory in Christ, after you have suffered a little while, will himself restore you and make you strong, firm and steadfast. (I Peter 5:10)

Weeping may remain for a night, but rejoicing comes in the morning. (Psalm 30:5)

We have confidence in the hope of Christ's return when there will be no more suffering, no more pain, and no more dying. Isaiah 25:8 tells us that God will swallow up death forever and He will wipe away tears from all faces. It goes on to say that He will remove the disgrace of his people from all the earth.

There is an end to it! Just like a woman in labor can endure the pain because she knows that the pain will not last forever and that the rewards of labor are great (a wonderful little bundle of joy), so is it with us. We know that our suffering, just like those who went before us, will come to an end and we will have an eternity in heaven.

So we need an eternal perspective. We need to see this life, with all it brings to us--the good times and the bad, as God sees it. We need to understand that this 70 years (give or take) is just a blip on the timeline of eternity. That will help us to have a better response to our suffering!

What are your thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment