Monday, November 23, 2009

What Have You Done for me Lately?

On Sunday we talked about the lepers in Luke 17 who Jesus healed of the dreaded disease of leprosy. As you recall, I likened that physical disease of leprosy to our spiritual disease of sin.

As we enter this Thanksgiving week, we all become abundantly aware of our blessings: family, friends, food, job, shelter, material blessings, and more. The list goes on and on. But often we leave out our biggest blessing of all.

Today I am going to borrow a quote from Beverly's e-mail signature (thanks Honey!). You have all seen it before, I am sure, but it is what I want to focus on here:

"When you have nothing left but God, then for the first time you become aware that God is enough." Maude Royden

When it is all said and done, God is all that we need. Years ago, I heard a song at a concert. While I don't remember the words exactly, I absolutely remember the gist of it. Basically, it was reminding us that when God called Himself "I AM" He was basically saying that He is all we need. I like that.

But today, I really want to hone in on our basic need. Our fundamental need in life is for a Savior. The Bible tells us that we were "helpless in our sins" (Romans 5:6) and God, in His mercy and grace, saw our need and our helplessness and sent us the only One who could rescue us from our desperate situation. Jesus Christ--Son of God, King of kings, Lord of lords--came to earth as a lowly impoverished baby, sent for one purpose alone--to rescue us and save us. He bought us and brought us back from the grip of death.

In the end, isn't that what matters? All the "stuff" that we count so important in our lives (and I'm not saying that food and shelter isn't important), pales in comparison to the work of the cross on our behalf.

Every year on Thanksgiving, our family has a tradition of going around the table and having everyone say what they're thankful for. Maybe your family does that too.

This year, maybe one of the things on your list will be salvation! Maybe it will be at the top of your list! I hope so!

Talk to me! What are your thoughts about thankfulness for salvation?

1 comment:

  1. I am thankful for God, his love, his gentelness and grace and forgiveness. I am thankful for his promise. I am thankful for my family and their love for each other although sometimes its hard to see. I am thankful for my church family, they dont judge me they just love and watch over me. I have never had a family like this growing up, God gave me this one. My life is complete now.

    ReplyDelete