Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Pray Continually

On Sunday we talked about the importance of prayer and Paul's admonition to "Pray continually." I Thessalonians 5:17

Sometimes we think of prayer as a formal thing, with lots of "rules." We think we must do it "right" in order for our prayers to be acceptable to God. In some ways, we must do it "right" in the sense of coming with a thankful heart, coming in faith, etc. But there are no rules about proper words or grammar or physical posture. God just wants us to pray.

I like to think of prayer as a conversation with God. If we are to pray continually, have a continual conversation with God, that is much easier if we continually walk with God.

Beverly and I will be driving over to to Ft. Bragg this week for a few days of rest. During the drive over, we will be spending time together in the car. Close proximity to each other. It is a natural outcome of that for us to engage in conversation. We can talk about deep things that are on our hearts, or we can simply make comments about the things we see on the drive. We may talk about ideas or we may laugh together about things that we see. We will be together, and conversation will come naturally.

If we drive together for very long without talking, it would feel like something is not quite right. It is a natural thing for us to share whatever is going through our minds at the moment.

It is the same with God. If we are walking with Him each and every moment of the day, then conversation with Him will just happen. We may ask Him for guidance. We may ask for protection. We may ask Him what He thinks about a situation we are facing. He's there, so we naturally communicate, just as if He was physically sitting across the lunch table from us or sitting in the passenger seat of our car.

But COMMUNICATE is the operative word here. Remember that communication is not just about talking. It is also about listening. So when you pray, take time to listen to what God says. It would be rude to call a friend for a chat, share everything you have to say, ask for whatever favors you need, and then hang up without finding out what your friend has to say. Remember that in your conversations with God.

Talk to me! I want to know what you have to say, so post a comment!

3 comments:

  1. So many times I use to think wow others can pray using words that were refined and proper and me I would just wonder why can't I pray like that but I knew God didn't care if the words weren't sophisticated.Sundays message just raffirmed what God was telling me.He was saying just talk to me in your simply words Anna I'm listening no matter how you say it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. forgot to put a commit on listening to God. Sometimes when I'm not listening God has to turn up the volume on his voice to get thru to me.I'm learning to listen better because He's the one who has all the perfect answers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ONe of the traps I so easily fall into is thinking that the 'big' 'hard' things are the most important. Our world is so much about the impresssive and the exceptional. But more often it is the simple things that really are more important. Prayer is one of those. Everyone can do it. All of us should do it. And failing to do it leaves us (ok, ok, leaves ME) unprepared for the 'bigger' 'harder' things. My prayer for myself and our congregation in response to the message this week is that we would take real steps toward getting better at this simple thing of communicating regularly with God.

    Thanks John for the spot on word this week!

    ReplyDelete